DUI and DWAI Defense
DUI driving offenses in the state of Colorado require immediate action to ensure that your rights are fully protected. If this happened in Fort Collins, then do not wait to call a DUI lawyer. Do not wait; we are here to help and not to judge. In most cases, you have seven days in which to defend your driving privilege following your arrest. It is highly likely you are feeling confused, anxious, fearful, and possibly even angry regarding your DUI or DWAI arrest. Any way you look at it, being arrested, fingerprinted, photographed, and jailed is a stressful, even dehumanizing, process. Furthermore, the consequences for a DUI or DWAI conviction in the state of Colorado can be far-reaching.
Issues Associated with DUI Charges
In fact, the majority of those who are charged with drunk driving are good drivers who simply made one bad choice. In other cases, a person charged with DUI could actually be innocent. Due to the fact that Standardized Field Sobriety Testing, and Intoxilyzer tests, can be inaccurate, a person could find themselves behind bars when they have done nothing wrong. The government is quick to prosecute DUIs, and will use every resource available to the State to do so. Under Colorado DUI law, it must be shown that you were operating a vehicle while affected by the consumption of alcohol or drugs.
There are a multitude of variables in a DUI arrest, however. The arresting officer may not have had sufficient cause to pull you over in the first place, the arrest may not have been made properly, the Intoxilyzer used to test your breath might not have been calibrated correctly, the phlebotomist may have contaminated the blood sample, or the person who administered the test might not have been suitably certified. All of these issues can be addressed by a knowledgeable and experienced Colorado DUI lawyer.
What a DUI Lawyer Can Do for You
Once you have hired an experienced Fort Collins DUI lawyer, he or she can do the following for you:
- Your Colorado DUI attorney will ensure the DA provides information on any witnesses who will be called in order to more fully prepare questions for those witnesses.
- Any other information or material the DA is in possession of which could prove your innocence or help obtain a lighter sentence will be obtained by your attorney.
- Copies of records associated with the tests you were given, including certification and training of the police officer and certification of the machines will be obtained.
- Your Colorado DUI attorney will aggressively fight for your ability to retain your driver’s license.
- Your attorney can demand a jury of twelve if your case is a felony charge or six if it is charged as a misdemeanor.
- The facts of your case will be thoroughly analyzed by your attorney, then options discussed with you. The judicial process will be clearly explained to you so you will know exactly what will happen during each step.
Contact a Fort Collins DUI Lawyer
If you have been arrested and charged with DUI in Fort Collins, Colorado, it is important to speak to an experienced Fort Collins DUI Defense lawyer immediately. Call The Cooney Law Firm at (970) 484-9911 or contact me online to schedule a time to sit down and discuss your circumstances. I offer flat fee rates for all DUI charges and payment plans are available with approved credit.